NFHS/C.I.F. Southern Section Code of Ethics – Officials
Officials at an interscholastic athletic event are participants in the educational development of high school students. As such, they must exercise a high level of self-discipline, independence and responsibility. The purpose of this Code is to establish guidelines for ethical standards of conduct for all interscholastic officials. Officials shall:
1. Master both the rules of the game and the mechanics necessary to enforce the rules, and shall exercise authority in an impartial, firm and controlled manner.
2. Work with each other, their state associations and their sections in a constructive and cooperative manner.
3. Uphold the honor and dignity of the profession in all interaction with student-athletes, coaches, athletic directors, school administrators, colleagues and the public.
4. Prepare themselves both physically and mentally, shall dress neatly and appropriately and shall comport themselves in a manner consistent with the high standards of the profession.
5. Be punctual and professional in the fulfillment of all contractual obligations.
6. Remain mindful that their conduct influences the respect that student-athletes, coaches and the public hold for the profession.
7. While enforcing the rules of play, remain aware of the inherent risk of injury that competition poses to student-athletes. Where appropriate, they shall inform event management of conditions or situations that appear unreasonably hazardous.
8. Take reasonable steps to educate themselves in the recognition of emergency conditions that might arise during the course of competition.
Support the principles of Pursuing Victory with Honor and uphold the Six Pillars of Character:
If you would like to
become a member, please contact:
To contact us: